Ebola, is panic good?

ncel tdiener at ASRR.ARSUSDA.GOV
Sun Jul 23 07:26:31 EST 1995

	Bob,
		Your ideas about the (evolutionary?) value of panic
and fear are thought-provoking and, for me at least, novel. Thanks. On
the other topic, to assign predatory motives to viruses is obviously
incorrect, but may be excusable, in my opinion, in popular writings on
virology, particularly if one considers the (TV-induced?) extremely short
attention span of much of today's public --- which quickly fades out unless
constantly overstimulated through all senses.
		Also, before we criticize popular writings, I believe we
should more critically examine our own professional word usages: I
haven't been at any virology meetings or congresses, for example, in
recent years, where there were not sessions after sessions on virus
replication "strategies," a term that is at least as anthropomorphic as
"predatory", implying, as it does, conscious design to succeed, be it in
war or in games.
    		Ted