Aids and Ozone

Prateek K. Lala ak961 at freenet.HSC.Colorado.EDU
Thu Jul 13 09:44:53 EST 1995

In a previous article, adennis (Andrea Dennis - Medaphis Production) says:

>kinds of implications. How many different things do we know of deplete the
>ozone layer? All kinds of things. Every tree that's cut down, pollution,
>hairspray, the list could go on forever. And even those things increase the
>likelihood of emergence and re-emergence. Look at the rainforest. Every
>area that's cleared exposes species to new viruses. That's how HIV came
>about in the first place. So, yes, the depletion of the ozone layer does

How does deforestation deplete the ozone layer?  I thought that the ozone
was depleted through reactions with chlorine radicals (from CFCs, etc). As
far as I know, deforestation leads to the build-up of greenhouse gases
(namely carbon dioxide), an effect separate from ozone depletion.

Prateek Lala
University of Toronto
--
The mind is like a TV set... when it goes blank, it's a good idea to turn
off the sound.   - Communication Briefings