HGE

Sue Jeffrey sjeffrey at mskcc.org
Thu Jul 13 07:39:00 EST 1995

In article <3u1jgs$a8r at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>, Mark Jude Hyman <mh691292>
wrote:

> According to the NY Times, human granulocytic ehrlichiosis (HGE) is caused by a
> bacteria isolated at the Duluth Clinic in Minnesota. It has killed at least
> four people in the US. Symptoms are similar to Lyme disease, but occur much
> more quickly. Apparently it responds well to both tetracycline and doxycycline.
>
> I'm sure that it will appear in a journal article soon.
There is another erlichichiosis that is carried by ticks - causes disease
in dogs and has been identified for at least a few years. I heard lately
that it is in epidemic proportions in some areas of the country this
summer. I am wondering if it is the same organism responsible for both
diseases, or if this is a new strain that was isolated. In canines,
erlichiosis causes platelet and WBC counts to fall drastically, and other
symptoms include neurological and gastrointestinal. Not a nice bug. I
suppose we'd be better off discussing this on bionet.microbiology, though.
Sue Jeffrey
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
New York City
email: sjeffrey at ski.mskcc.org