Marburg?

Prateek K. Lala ak961 at freenet.HSC.Colorado.EDU
Tue Jul 4 12:37:26 EST 1995

In a previous article, greendot at laplaza.taos.nm.us (Sir Joseph of GreenWood) says:

>I recently heard a refrence to a virus called Marburg (sp?) right along
>side Ebola.  I know what Ebola does.. but I have no clue on Marburg.
>
>could somebody e-mail me a quick explanation?

The Marburg virus belong to the same family of viruses, the Filoviridae,
as Ebola virus; infact, it was the prototype virus within this family.
The first outbreak was recorded in 1967 in Marburg, Germany when a number
of employees of a German pharmaceutical company fell ill after being
exposed to infected cynomolgous monkey tissues.  The effects were very
similar to those caused by Ebola, that is, acute hemorrhagic fever which
was fatal in about 50% of all cases.  Monkeys from the same shipment were
sent to Frankfurt, Germany, and to Belgrade, (then) Yugoslavia.  A few
people fell ill and died in these cities as well.

A very thorough book was put out soon afterward by Siegert and Martini
(editors), called (I think) Marburg Virus Disease.  Check it out.

Prateek Lala
University of Toronto
--
The mind is like a TV set... when it goes blank, it's a good idea to turn
off the sound.   - Communication Briefings