Seeking info on Macular Degeneration !!!

Craig U. cuthe at gti.net
Sun Jul 2 13:37:10 EST 1995

The article I previously described (WSJ, 11/9/94) on a study of macular
degeneration also found:

"The comparison failed to find any benefit in preventing AMD from eating
or taking supplements of vitamins A and E, and only hints of benefit from
vitamin C ..... reported in this week's [11/9/94] issue of the JAMA."

There was no reference to zinc, but I'd be wary about taking too much.
Some people are sensitive to too much of certain metals.  (E.g., by the
time they're 30 or 40, adult males accumulate a 3 year supply of iron -
all that iron put in processed foods to help women can be a risk factor
for men).

Based on the research, the dark green leaves seem the most effective
preventive (spinach & collard greens were tested; kale, mustard greens, &
turnip greens also contain the key lutein and zeaxanthin carotenoids).

Maybe there's a difference between preventing vs. trying to reverse it?