purpose of viruses??

smt3 at Lehigh.EDU smt3 at Lehigh.EDU
Fri Jan 27 14:21:39 EST 1995

In article <D2vqt7.8Mv at world.std.com>, marq at world.std.com (Mark A Lilly) writes:
>I'm new here, and have read with interest the debates on the
>origins of viruses, and the questions as to whether they are
>alive or not.  My question is:  What are their purpose?
>
>Is it to spread genetic material across the planet?  Is it to
>achieve hegemony over the planet (seems they already do...)?
>
>Any thoughts are welcome,
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mark A. Lilly
>Boston
>
>--
>I hope you hear many blessed voices in the wilderness.

Shawn Torbert-undergrad-Lehigh University

    Mark, it seems to me that one possible purpose of a virus is population
    control, even if that means humans.  Although this may seem inhumane, I
    think viruses have evolved to solve our overcrowding problems on this
    planet!  Vive le virus!
                                     Thanks,
                                       Shawn Torbert