"living" viruses

Robert Means remeans at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Jan 25 13:27:21 EST 1995

Hello,
	I probably shouldn't post to this thread since it is slipping
over into the realm of philosophy, but ...  ;)
	There is a book out called Snowcrash. It might be by William
Gibson but I'm not sure. Anyway, it revolves around the notion that ideas
or memories are alive in much the same way as viruses. They use an
infectious genome made up of words and are kept alive by the thought
process of the host. If they are virulent enough, the host can't get them
off his/her mind and replicates them by speaking to others. I'm sure this
isn't a new concept but the book deals with the idea well. Sorry if ya
think I'm wasting bandwidth but I had to comment.

						Bob Means

New England Regional Primate Research Center...Where the monkeys smell
better than the post-docs but we won't talk about the grad students.