purpose of viruses??

Wolfram Brune brune at 129.206.100.126
Wed Jan 25 09:49:21 EST 1995

In message <95123231456.~INN-MSBa00165.bionet-news at dl.ac.uk> Mark A Lilly
writes:
> I'm new here, and have read with interest the debates on the
> origins of viruses, and the questions as to whether they are
> alive or not.  My question is:  What are their purpose?
>
> Is it to spread genetic material across the planet?  Is it to
> achieve hegemony over the planet (seems they already do...)?

If you ask for a purpose, you have to infer that there is "someone" who
constructed the universe and who has given everything a purpose.

In my opinion, things are not there to serve a purpose, they just exist. The
basic concept of evolution is that things "happen" or "evolve" by chance. If
they "work", they will survive, if not, they will disappear. Charles Darwin
called this "survival of the fittest".
Obviously, viruses "work" quite well - that's why they continue to be around.
They don't need a purpose. By the way - what is YOUR purpose?

Wolfram Brune
Zentrum fuer Molekulare Biologie der Universit
t Heidelberg (ZMBH)
Im Neuenheimer Feld 282
D-69120 Heidelberg
Germany