Small pox

Tisha Sweeney spam at millcomm.com
Tue Jan 24 11:20:59 EST 1995

squan at ix.netcom.com (Steve Quan) wrote:

> Ok,ok I'm just your average layman  with an interest in teeny tiny
> bugs.  I feel stupid asking, but here goes.  Can anyone tell me WHY
> small pox is no longer a threat?  I understand about the eradication
> campaign and that the last case was reported sometime in the late 70's.
>  Isn't the bug itself still out there somewhere (besides the stuff in
> deep freeze)? How do they know it's gone?  If answers would be too long
> for this post can anyone recommend a book?  Pardon my ignorance and
> thanks.

This isn't an answer, but I thought while someone brought this topic up, I'd
ask my own questions.  From what I've heard, smallpox really isn't much of a threat
anymore, thanks to widespread vaccination programs.  However, recently some
people have become concerned that, since smallpox *isn't* a threat anymore,
people aren't (generally) being vaccinated against it anymore, and there is always
the possibility of an "escape" of the virus from a lab is always there.  I guess I
just wanted to hear some people's opinions this issue.

Sorry about the artificial line breaks.  New newsreader.

- Tisha/Ellis/Spam
  spam at millcomm.com