NANB / HCV

TLBentley tlbentley at aol.com
Sat Jan 21 10:57:48 EST 1995

County public health unit, nurse epidemiologist here:
I am out on the grass roots of the surveillance system.  If an HCV
positive reported patient is asymptomatic the system does not want the
report!  What the CDC, State and local authorities report are only
symptomatic patients with an onset date.  The case definition comes from
the CDC.  Liver enzymes must be  two and a half time the normal limit.
The classification that HCV still  falls in is non A non B.   It's
possible sentinel communities used to look for the sero-prevailance of HBV
may be used for sero-prevailance of C.  It is my opinion that the
screening test will have to get better in order to do this.  If a HCV
antigen test or short term antibody (IGM) test were there for C, then the
stats could grab accurate reports and mean something.
Your turn, microbiologists...   :->.