Small pox

Lyle Najita najital at rockvax.rockefeller.edu
Fri Jan 20 17:31:50 EST 1995

In article <Pine.3.87.9501191253.B7606-0100000 at gemini.oscs.montana.edu>,
umbcb at GEMINI.OSCS.MONTANA.EDU (Clifford Bond) wrote:

[stuff deleted]
> However, consider this scenario.  Suppose that there was a cemetery
> populated with bodies of victims of smallpox from the 1920s or maybe
> earlier.  Someone deems the cemetery property necessary for development
> and all of the bodies must be moved to a new cemetery.  It is a given
> that variola virus can survive for a long period of time, maybe
> years, in the proper environment.  Could this cemetery be a source of
> naturally acquired smallpox?
>
> Cheers,
> Cliff Bond
[stuff deleted]
> On 18 Jan 1995, Steve Quan wrote:
>
> > Ok,ok I'm just your average layman  with an interest in teeny tiny
> > bugs.  I feel stupid asking, but here goes.  Can anyone tell me WHY
> > small pox is no longer a threat?  I understand about the eradication
> > campaign and that the last case was reported sometime in the late 70's.
> >  Isn't the bug itself still out there somewhere (besides the stuff in
> > deep freeze)? How do they know it's gone?  If answers would be too long
> > for this post can anyone recommend a book?  Pardon my ignorance and
> > thanks.

A friend of mine who attended the ICV in Glasgow had mentioned that
several people had mentioned mass graves in Siberia where victims of
smallpox outbreaks were buried. Such sites could still conceivably yield
viable virus provided the victims had not been disinfected before
internment.

My opinions are my own and given freely. As such, they are worth exactly
what you paid for them.