Small pox

Clifford Bond umbcb at GEMINI.OSCS.MONTANA.EDU
Thu Jan 19 14:59:52 EST 1995

Smallpox is not considered a threat because the only reservoir is humans
and the last reported naturally acquired case was in 1977.  A laboratory
associated case occurred in England in 1980.  Since the last naturally
acquired case was in 1977 and the only reservoir is human, it is unlikely
that naturally acquired smallpox is much of a threat.  The only known
stocks of variola virus, the causative agent of smallpox, live in Moscow
and at the CDC in Atlanta.  Both are scheduled for destruction.

However, consider this scenario.  Suppose that there was a cemetery
populated with bodies of victims of smallpox from the 1920s or maybe
earlier.  Someone deems the cemetery property necessary for development
and all of the bodies must be moved to a new cemetery.  It is a given
that variola virus can survive for a long period of time, maybe
years, in the proper environment.  Could this cemetery be a source of
naturally acquired smallpox?

Cheers,
Cliff Bond

*  Clifford W. Bond               INTERNET: umbcb at gemini.oscs.montana.edu  *
*  Department of Microbiology     Telephone:  406 994-4130                 *
*  Montana State University       TeleFAX:    406 994-4926                 *
*  Bozeman, MT 59717 USA                                                   *