plant viruses

RYBICKI, ED ED at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Thu Jan 19 06:09:00 EST 1995

> From:          mkrol at macc.wisc.edu (Micky Krol)
> Subject:       Re: plant viruses
> Date:          Mon, 16 Jan 1995 19:40:32 -0700

> In article <onenight-1501951844550001 at port52.rain.org>,
onenight at rain.org
> > Please excuse a layman's question, but is there an incedence in
virology
> > where a plant virus can be transmitted to an animal?

> PS- I am a grad student who studies plant viruses which we have
been able,
> with great difficulty, been able to get to replicate in yeast,
(which is
> not a plant) so this type of question is really up my alley.
> Hope i answered your question adequately!!

Yes....BUT, wasn't that only with the 1a gene expressed in
transgenic yeast?  Not quite a natural infection, although it does
demonstrate that the requirements for replication of a plant virus
are basically present in yeast.

 | Ed Rybicki, PhD          |  (ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za)  |
 | Dept Microbiology        | University of Cape Town  |
 | Private Bag, Rondebosch  |   7700, South Africa     |
 | fax: xx27-21-650 4023    |  tel: xx27-21-650 3265   |
 |       URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology        |