Small pox

Steve Quan squan at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jan 18 17:15:36 EST 1995

Ok,ok I'm just your average layman  with an interest in teeny tiny
bugs.  I feel stupid asking, but here goes.  Can anyone tell me WHY
small pox is no longer a threat?  I understand about the eradication
campaign and that the last case was reported sometime in the late 70's.
 Isn't the bug itself still out there somewhere (besides the stuff in
deep freeze)? How do they know it's gone?  If answers would be too long
for this post can anyone recommend a book?  Pardon my ignorance and
thanks.