Plant viruses that infect animals

Martin Hewlett hewlett at brahms.biosci.arizona.edu
Tue Jan 17 10:55:12 EST 1995

bap at MED.PITT.EDU (Bruce Phillips) wrote:

> 	Maybe old age is overcoming me but I can't recall a single plant
> virus that can naturally infect animals.  Is there an example?

Caulimoviruses (cauliflower mosaic) and badnaviruses (mommelina yellow mottle)
are transmitted by aphids and mealybugs.  In this case,
do the viruses grow in the insect tissues?  If so, then these might
be examples of plant viruses naturally infecting animals.

Martin Hewlett
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology
University of Arizona