Hepatitis C

saboteur at BORCIM.WUSTL.EDU saboteur at BORCIM.WUSTL.EDU
Sun Jan 15 21:08:55 EST 1995

>I have a question. Why isn't there more publicity about Hepatitis C? It
>affects a lot of people, is fairly deadly, and is pretty much
>untreatable.

Good question Sue! Last I heard, about .5% of the US population is HCV+, or
roughly 1,000,000 people, which is comparable to HIV. As you may know, a
majority of those infected remain chronically infected for life. The big
difference, at least in media coverage, between HCV and HIV, is that HIV
touched on some real tricky issues in this puritanical society, such as
homosexuality, drug abuse, birth control, etc. This should force us to confront
our hangups about these issues, but alas, I haven't seen too much
improvement. Anyways, HCV just isn't "sexy" outside the research lab, but I
find it very interesting to study nonetheless. My 2c.

Brett Lindenbach
Lucille P. Markey Student in Human Pathobiology
Program in Immunology
Washington University - St Louis
brett at borcim.wustl.edu