HSVII

C. Greiner cgreiner at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Wed Jan 11 10:50:37 EST 1995

On Tue, 10 Jan 1995, Giovanni Maga wrote:

> In article <001303Z10011995 at anon.penet.fi>, an172190 at anon.penet.fi wrote:
>

> > My daughter contracted HSVII from a former boyfriend. She is extremely
> > depressed and reasons that no self-respecting man could ever want her as
> > a partner if he knew about this problem. Is there any cause for optimism
> > in terms of a cure (she uses acyclovir)? In the near future? Thank you
> > for any info.

> > To find out more about the anon service, send mail to help at anon.penet.fi.
> > Due to the double-blind, any mail replies to this message will be anonymized,
> > and an anonymous id will be allocated automatically. You have been warned.
> > Please report any problems, inappropriate use etc. to admin at anon.penet.fi.
>
> ACV is still the best drug in clinical use, but maybe we are not too far
> from finding out more effective drugs (I will not say anything about a
> vaccine, even if there is a formidable effort in this direction). If (as I
> understood) your daughter is just serum-positive, she can look at life with
> optimism: it is not said that she will develop AIDS, and even so, it can
> happen in years. The problem of social relationships is extremely serious
> (depending also where you are living). The only thing I can say is that if
> her future companion really loves her, then the problem will be solved. You
> can have relationships (even sexual) with a partner with a sufficient
> opened mind and being carefully. But I do not want to elude the problem:
> your daughter will suffer and she need your help as well as the help from
> people who understand that avoiding HIV infected people does not protect
> themselves neither helps who is suffering.
> All the best.

Interesting response, begins discussing HSV for which acyclovir is active
against, but rapidly shifts to HIV for which acyclovir has little to no
activity against? Perhaps, this response is to put the problem in
perspective? To the original post, don't panic HSV doesn't cause aids and
tell your daughter that it is not the end of the world. Seroprevalence
studies (antibodies in the blood indicating previous exposure to the
virus taken from segments of the population to gage the numbers of cases
of disease in that population) for HSV2 range from 3% (NUNS) to 70%. Thus
taking the middle ground say 30%, that would mean your daughter is one of
approxamately 75 million americans with HSV2. As your daughter is taking
acyclovir, she has been to a physician, this is the person to talk to
concerning relations with a seronegative companion and other concerns she
may have on her condition. I believe your purpose in posting however was
concerning treatment. Acyclovir is to the best of my knowledge the
treatment of choice although I believe it's use relates to the decrease
in severity and duration of lesions and the treatment of the rare more
serious complications of HSV infections. There is no "cure" although I
believe researchers at the Univ. of Washington are in clinical trials
with a vaccine to reduce or eliminate expression of the disease (e.g.
lesions and viral shedding) although I can't remember all the details. I
believe Dr. C. Corey would be a useful name for a literature search.