Recombinant Virus!!

ANNALISE at medmicro.uct.ac.za ANNALISE at medmicro.uct.ac.za
Thu Jan 5 02:16:54 EST 1995

> From:          wen at zeus.ahabs.wisc.edu

> I am interested in producing a recombinant DNA virus by transfecting
> plasmid (carrying a selectable gene flanked by viral sequences) into
> virally infected cells.  Could anybody help me begin to find out about
> other systems (preferably for eukaryotic viruses) that use a similar
> method to introduce such genetic  changes?

Poxvirus recombinants are also made using this method.  There are a
number of genes that have been used for positive selection - gpt,
neo, hygromycin.  Also beta-galactosidase has been used a
reporter gene to identify recombinants. Besides homologous
recombination to make recombinants in vitro ligation is also a
suitable method to make recombinant poxviruses -  as long as there is
a suitable helper virus to rescue the recombinants (naked poxvirus
DNA is not infectious).

Good luck

Anna-Lise Williamson

>Dr Anna-Lise Williamson