(?)Herpes Simplex - Reinfection

James Brady jrbrady at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jan 2 00:26:21 EST 1995

I wonder if anyone could help me with this.  Pardon me if this question
is a little vague since I am a medical lay-person.

What are the consequences of reinfection of the herpes simplex virus by
someone already infected.  That is, if an infected person who does not
currently have symptoms has intimate contact with some who does, what
happens?  Will the a-symptomatic person then develop symptoms?  Does
this person then have a second strain of virus living in another part of
their basal ganglia?  Do these strains somehow interact?  Will the
frequency of outbreaks increase? etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.