Rabbit calici virus adapts? (Alwyn Smith)

Rachel Priebee Priebee_R at wcc.govt.nz
Tue Dec 12 23:03:19 EST 1995

bsandle at southern.co.nz (Brian Sandle) wrote:

> I have recently heard Alwyn Smith of Oregon State University speaking
> about rabbit calici virus. He says that the people who say it will not
> adapt to other species are hoping that it will differ from other calici
> viruses in that respect. The other calici viruses do adapt.
>
> It is being debated whether to release it in New Zealand.

Why do they think it won't adapt, if it has done so in the past?

I think it's like the push to introduce myxamitosis (sp) - they're
in such a hurry to reduce the rabbits that they don't want to wait
for full tests to be done.

My greatest personal concern is that it will adapt and end up infecting
livestock and domestic pets such as cats and dogs (as a dog owner I
am particularly concerned about that).

Rachel