WANTED: Extensive textbook on general virology.

Joao Vasconcelos Costa jcosta at gulbenkian.pt
Mon Dec 4 04:34:21 EST 1995

brett at borcim.wustl.edu (brett) wrote:
>>I'm a high school student interested in virology.
>>I'm looking for an extensive textbook or tutorial on general and molecular
>>virology (printed media preferred, but online WWW / TeX would also be OK).
>>If anyone knows about such a publication, please post a message containing
>>a book title or internet address to this newsgroup.
>>
>>                                Thank you very much,
>>                                Lienhard Mack
>>                                (email: Lienhard.Mack at hamburg.netsurf.de)
>

>Well, the ultimate is B. Field's tome, General Virology. It's quite pricey, so
>I'd borrow the library's. A new edition is in press, so look for it early '96.
>

>Brett Lindenbach

I think that Field's "bible" is too much for a high school student.
Try one of these two simpler but very good books:
1) Cann, AJ, "Principles of Molecular Virology", Academic Press
2) Fraenkel-Conrat, H, Kimball, PC & Levy, JA, "Virology", Prentice-
Hall (a bit older than the first one, but still OK for what you want)

Joao V. Costa

Dr. JOAO V. COSTA                         e-mail: jcosta at gulbenkian.pt
Instituto Gulbenkian de Ciencia                  phone: +351(1)4435750
Apartado 14, P-2781 Oeiras Codex, PORTUGAL       fax:   +351(1)4435625