Non-Specific Ab binding

Jack Guida guida at aecom.yu.edu
Mon Aug 28 20:55:34 EST 1995

Rocco,

>The problem:
>The human sera appears to be picking up HeLa cellular proteins in
>general.  This has been observed with plain HeLa cells, as well,
>when they are used as negative controls.

The HeLa cell line was derived from an HPV-cervial carcinoma, I would
suspect that pooled human serum would have anti-HPV antibodies.  Is it
possible that your background noise correlates with HPV genes expressed
in the HeLa cells (E6, E7, others?).

  --Jack D. Guida                       *  "If you choose to keep a weasel
  Albert Einstein College of Medicine   *   in your pocket, it's your
  guida at aecom.yu.edu                    *   business."
  adenovir at mindvox.phantom.com          *  -old Yiquank proverb (Tad Williams)