[Q] REM/SEM microscopy of viruses

Alexander Brozeit Alexander.Brozeit at arbi.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de
Mon Aug 28 11:31:10 EST 1995

Dear collegues,

As a physicist I was asked if there is a possibility to detect
viruses by means of REM/SEM microscopy.
In principal this technique is feasible, I know, the question
addresses the way of specimen preparation: small eruptions of
the skin contain an almost clear liquid which is directly applied
to a microscope cover plate. After desiccating, the specimen is
sputtered with approx. 3 to 5 nanometer Gold.

Is it likely to find (if prominent) a virus by using this method ?
If not, which technique is more likely to yield success ?

A N Y advice welcome,

Thanks,

Alexander Brozeit
University of Oldenburg, Physics Dept., PO Box 2503, D 26111 Oldenburg, Germany
email: alexander.brozeit at informatik.uni-oldenburg.de    Phone: +49-441-798-3511
       brozeit at uwa.physik.uni-oldenburg.de              Fax:   +49-441-798-3201