XENOTRANSPLANTATION ISSUES

Rafael Maldonado rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu
Fri Aug 25 14:05:31 EST 1995

On 24 Aug 1995, KMShannon wrote:

> But, [now you get to hear my opinion,]
> I do not wish to believe that there are MD's out there who would actually
> put a baboons liver into Larry Hagman, or a Chimps heart into the child
> with heart disease.  That should be against the Hippocratic Oath or
> something...(I know,...the Hippocratic Oath does not mention anything
> about baboon transplants or using machines to instigate death...)
> Back to the point...there are many viri who, if they could think, would
> love this new science of cross-species interaction.  The little virion
> would be able to jump species and almost pick and choose its hosts.
> And this is just one argument....what ever happened to ethics?

Ethics? What is wrong with ethics? Killing animals for saving humans?
That is done every day for eating. Besides, insuline, serum, have been
used from animals before. Where is the problem? Is ethic an artificial
heart then?

> Also, some sociologists might tell you that there are too da*m many people
> on the Earth.  How about just letting some die off?

THAT is against the Hippocratic Oath for sure. Why should we have doctors
and medical science, if there is overpopulation?

> Rather than letting
> latent viri (viri in non-human populations) do it for us...

That is a totally different problem. We should make sure that those
animals are enough helthy and without any latent virus to crate a danger
to mankind. But a "no" to those pactices only because the danger may
exist is stupid. Similar arguments have been used against the blood
transfussions. I would be stupid saying now, after the people who died
of AIDS through transfusions., "I told you, transfussions are bad". What
about the huge number of people saved by transfussions? I am sure that
those virologist said "Caution", but not "Stop it now and forever".

> I sincerely hope that this messege finds peers of myself (future
> virologists) who agree and this xeno-cross-species-nonsense is just a
> passing fad on the wannabe cutting edge of medicine.

That will be told by the time and the medical science.

	Rafa

Rafael Maldonado                             |  La cita ha sido
room 6160 Eccles Institute of Human Genetics |
Department of Human Genetics		     |  retirada por respeto
University of Utah			     |
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112. USA.	     |  a la propiedad
Rafael.Maldonado at genetics.utah.edu           |
Rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu	             |  intelectual.
Tel: 801-581-4429			     |
Fax: 801-585-3910			     |