The Ebola virus - the end of the civilized world

Ed Rybicki ED at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Fri Aug 25 02:18:18 EST 1995

> To:            virology at net.bio.net
> From:          aslepius1 at aol.com (Aslepius1)
> Subject:       Re: The Ebola virus - the end of the civilized world
> Date:          24 Aug 1995 23:53:43 -0400

> Whoa!
>
> If you want to read about Biological Warfare look at the Japenese'sarmy
> unit 731 when it was in manchuria china.
> Read about the reprocusions of smallpox on the aztecs and myans when the
> spanish came. That is what will happen if ebola lands in the U.S. in more
> than one city and in people who travel by aircraft to other areas. It will
> be like a wildfire.

With all due respect.....BALLS!!!!  Read the exchange as encapsulated
in the (subtle dig for my site) Ebola page update I put up yesterday,
at http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology/ebpopage.html, and also in this very
forum.  Ebola has killed MAYBE 2000 people in AFRICA since 1976,
under conditions of horrifying lack of hygeine, general malnutrition,
and lack of medical care, AND in a major city recently to boot.  What
makes you think it will do worse in a more sophisticated
environment??

You will note that bubonic/pneumonic plague outbreak in India
recently (note: India) was quickly snuffed out, WITHOUT all the
medical expertise/resources available in the US.  Have a little faith
in your own health authorities!!  And LIGHTEN UP and stop reading all
those lurid books / watching those sensationalist movies, and read
some science for a change.

 |     Ed Rybicki, PhD      |  ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za   |
 |    Dept Microbiology     | University of Cape Town |
 | Private Bag, Rondebosch  |   7700, South Africa    |
 |   fax: x27-21-650 4023   | phone: x27-21-650-3265  |
 ------WWW URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology------

"And then one day you find, ten years have got behind you"