The Ebola virus - the end of the civilize

Hiro hiro at mill2.millcomm.com
Tue Aug 22 13:34:08 EST 1995

In article <s03471be.038 at shands.ufl.edu>, KERSTING.PATHLOGY at mail.health.ufl.edu says:

>undoubtable,......
>
>Indeed, Ebola is the mightiest threat mankind has faced yet.<<<<<
>
>Hmm...Wouldn't you consider AIDS as a much bigger threat to
>mankind????
>
>Robert

I think that this may be a simplification of the matter.  I think
that the truth is rather more disturbing.  It seems to me that both
of these diseases are symptomatic of some aspect of human behaviour.
Not a new thought by any means, but any efforts we spend treating these
specific diseases are treating the symptoms, not the underlying
problem.  Why did AIDS come out of obscurity and start spreading like
wildfire?  Why are there suddenly all these hemorrhagic fevers of
different genetic description (Junin, Ebola)?  Marburg and Ebola are
similar enough (both are filoviruses) but the others are not filoviruses,
and I wonder what human behaviours exist that would favor the emergence
of diseases of this sort.

What are WE doing?  What behaviours exist in our lifestyles that would
contribute to the spread of new infectious agents?