HELP NEEDED: Inactivation testing - seeded vs. infected tissue

computerx vancantc at vt.edu
Tue Aug 15 09:07:42 EST 1995

I am looking for recent research that addresses the problem of testing viral inactivation procedures.  Specifically, I am interested in the issue of assaying inactivation procedures using tissue samples seeded (spiked) with viruses versus naturally infected tissue.  My concern is the matrix effect.  Is there recent research that addresses the representativeness of seeded vs. natural conditions.  Presumbably, there is a far greater challenge to inactivating viruses in their natural setting (i.e., intimately associated with the biological matrix) than the unnatural condition of simply mixing a viral culture with tissue.  Can anyone help direct me to specific, pertinent research in this area?