Contact dermatitis

Robert Snyder rjsnyder at ix.netcom.com
Sat Aug 12 23:00:42 EST 1995

Hello -
My daughter is 20 years old and a hairdresser - and doing real well,
except for one major problem:

She has a recurring problem of "contact dermatitis", as diagnosed
by her doctor.  It starts with small sores, which get bigger, then
split, then get bigger... then it's a real mess.  Her dr. puts her on
"prednisone" (sp?) and she takes off a week and it goes away.
She's also using some sort of prescription cream that she applies
twice per day.

She no longer does perms... the solution is pretty rough stuff.  Plus
she uses plastic gloves a great deal of the time.  But the problem
still comes back.

Two questions:
    1. Since she has to wash her hands after each client (maybe 15
per day), I'm wondering if you can recommend a very mild cleanser
(we're thinking this may be the problem)

   2. Any recommendations on a non-irritating lotion / moisturizer
that will keep her hands from drying out?

She's discouraged, and I'm concerned - but neither of us is ready to
throw in the towel until we've exhausted every reasonable avenue
with regard to beating this thing.

I'd appreciate it so much if any of you could send me advice, input,
suggestions, etc....

Please send your replies to me at

rjsnyder at ix.netcom.com

Thanks very much.