PCR primers

Todd Miller - Pharmacology tmiller at newssun.med.miami.edu
Tue Aug 8 21:01:44 EST 1995

	I've noticed that the PCR, applied to HIV, almost always
uses the SK primers that amplify part of the gag sequence.  Does
anyone know of studies that compared the results of this primer
pair to other primer pairs also specific for HIV, but in other
parts of the genome?  Are there factors that would limit the
degree of correlation between the results of different primer
pairs?  How close would you expect different primer pairs to be
as far as providing an answer to 1)infected or not infected and
2)quantitative measurements of viral load?

	Thanks for any help.  This question was too tough to
extract out of the literature, so I'm hoping someone has come
across this, perhaps even WRT other viruses.

Todd Miller