Possible role of cAMP in successful antiviral therapy

hsmith at sun.olympia.com hsmith at sun.olympia.com
Wed Aug 2 12:29:16 EST 1995

>   mperdue at ASRR.ARSUSDA.GOV ("Michael L. Perdue") writes:
>
>  Shame on you Howard for killing 1,000 mice in order to demonstrate a
>  drop in lethality rates from 97% to 92%.  If there is anything there,
>  what you have is a slight pro-host effect, certainly not antiviral.  Also
>  what happens if you inject 200 mg/kg of ANYTHING into these unfortunate
>  creatures?

I've given some thought to your comment about injecting 200 mg/kg of ANYTHING into the unfortunate
creatures.  Good observation.  Simple reply.  They died at the same rate as the controls.  Interesting thing,
though, is that injection of a solution of "pure" cAMP into mice after challenge resulted in 100% survival.
Unfortunately, I couldn't afford to buy more than a miniscule amount of cAMP since I was financing the
research out of my own pocket, so there was no controlled study done following this limited test.

Howard Smith