anti-bacterial cleaners

PSE evans at ahabs.wisc.edu
Tue Aug 1 14:01:10 EST 1995

In article <3vlks3$fn9 at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>, Denni Schnapp
<ds4 at st-andrews.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear Robert, Antibacterial cleaners do not contain antibiotics but
> quite strong antibacterial chemicals (best known is hypochlorite and
> bleach in cleaners). No bug is likely to develop much resistance
> against that, best not taken internally!

Laurie Garrett reminds me that microorganisms can and do develop
resistance to strong chemicals such as chlorine and ammonia based
cleansers.

Examples are Leigionaires Disease-causing bacteria, V. cholera, E. coli,
and Cryptosporidium  (some Cryptosporidium species reportedly _grow_ in
the presence of Chlorox).

Bacteria resist these cleansers by inducing sporulation genes, or,
possibly specific transmembrane pumps that keep the chemical outside. See
Garrett, "The Coming Plague" (pages 428-430) for more details...or read
the entire book, it's very interesting!