Curious about 'hot' viruses

Patricia Terris vada at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 25 16:48:25 EST 1995

In <3njkt8$maf at vixen.cso.uiuc.edu> sweitzen at uiuc.edu (Scott
Weitzenhoffer) writes:

>Hello!
>
>As a result of reading _The_Hot_Zone_, I have developed a morbid
interest
>in the viruses classified as level 4.  If anybody knows of resources
where I can
>find out more about these viruses, their histories, effects, etc, I
would
>appreciate any information people care to give me.
>
>My field is not virology, obviously, but physics.  However, I'm
considering
>joining a research group in biological physics, and there are some
definite
>possible links between the two fields.
>
>Thanks,
>Scott

Hi,

Hooray, I am not alone! I, too, read _The_Hot_Zone_ and became
interested in dangerous viruses. There are two books you might want to
consider:

 _Emerging_Viruses_ edited by Stephen S. Morse an assistant professor
of virology at The Rockefller University.  On the jacket it states:

    "New epidemics such as AIDS and "mad cow" disease have dramatized
    the need to expore the factors underlying rapid viral evolution and
    emerging viruses.  This comprehensive volume is the first to
    describe this multifaceted new field...."

I just got this book today so, of course, I haven't read it but it
looks interesting.

 _The_Coming_Plague_ by Laurie Garrett.

A friend is reading this book, says it's good, and will let me borrow
it.

I have a degree in biology although I don't use it.  After a stint in
the Air Force doing chemical defense research and working in a hospital
blood bank for 3 years, I'm now a federal auditor.  However, I've never
given up my interest in science and usually fulfill it by lurking in
the science newsgroups.

Pat