Chichen Pox Vaccine

Steve Quan squan at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 25 15:01:57 EST 1995

In <95042509202649 at zena.uokhsc.edu> f755 at REV.RE.UOKHSC.EDU writes:

>	The recent concerns expressed about the new VZV vaccine
>make for an interesting topic of conversation.  Issues regarding
>disease in adults, latency, and reactivation were discussed
>during the development and testing of the vaccine but will not be
>completely resolved for years.  Proponents of the vaccine
>correctly point to high morbidity in children with high absentee
>rates from school and economic loss.  There are also the serious
>complications that may occur, pneumonia and CNS infection.  Effective
>antiviral therapy, however, is available.  The recommendation
>is for children to be vaccinated.
>	What are your thoughts?

I really try to just lurk and not butt in, but I need to know.  High
morbidity in children from chicken pox?  I live in a small town and
every year a group of kids from one class or daycare or preschool or
whatever comes down with it.  It's a nuisance, but no one thinks more of
it than that.  Many mothers, myself included, just wish their kids would
get it young and be done with it.  No one has ever discussed it in life
threatening terms.  What's the scoop? (Forgive my intrusion oh ye mighty
gods of virology.)
-Mo