Dummy Target For Virus'

Patrick O'Neil patrick at corona
Mon Apr 24 23:45:25 EST 1995

On 24 Apr 1995, Kenneth Plahn wrote:

> As long as we are being theoretical here, I'll throw out an idea. Suppose
> we use a viral 'sponge'. If some sort of artificial lymph nodes could be
> constructed, virus could be absorbed as it passes throgh the lymphatic
> system. They could be constructed with immobilized CD4 or Anti-HIV
> antibodies in the interior. These 'lymph nodes' could be implanted or it

I rather like this idea.  Use some hypoallergenic material/plastic full
of pores large enough to freely pass blood, and loaded with bound
receptor/ligand.  Either implant several and connect to strategic veins,
allow time to bind virion, then remove; or set up a dialysis-like device,
eliminating any need for invasive surgery with even more surface area and
ligands.  Pump the blood through it several times a week/month in an
attempt to reduce viral load (perhaps giving a chance for the immune
system to regain a foothold), and see if the tide turns.  Of course, this
would only work for blood-borne viruses, otherwise, you'd actually need
the invasive surgery (periodically, I might add, which would increase the
chance of complications) to plant the "lymph nodes" into the lymph system.

Patrick