Dummy Target For Virus'

Robert Weitkamp stormbri at rain.org
Sun Apr 23 16:57:56 EST 1995

	I hope my questions are not too stupid, as I am an electrical engineer by trade, with only a strong
side intrest in virology.  My question is thus:

	Is it possible to help the immune system fight virus' by providing false targets for them.  For
example (and forgive my lack of knowledge) could you create a particle that the bodies immune system would not
immediatly go for and would be filtered out naturally by the kidneys or whichever organ does such a job, but
would still have the proper surface receptors to attract a particular virus (such as appearing to be a nerve
cell as in rabies or T cell as in AIDS, etc.).  In this way the virus woull inject its DNA in a harmless
target while the body goes after the already infected cells?  I realize that this would only affect blood born
 virus particles, but at least it might be a start ?!?

	Perhaps this has already been tried?  Or maybe it is too difficult to generate a 'target' the the body
would leave alone, but the virus would not???

Just a thought, I would appreciate any comments.

Robert Weitkamp
stormbri at rain.org