HAV vaccine

C. Greiner cgreiner at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Sat Apr 15 19:48:55 EST 1995

On 14 Apr 1995, Don Haut wrote:

> In article <9504141931.AA03078 at deimos.med.pitt.edu>, bap at MED.PITT.EDU
> (Bruce Phillips) wrote:
>
> >         The new HAV vaccine is called Hirvax (or something like that) and is
> > a inactivated virus preparation very much like the early Salk/Youngner
> vaccine.
> > It is reported to be 85% effective as measured, I believe, by eliciting
> > "significant" titers of neutralizing antibodies and from studies showing
> > protective effects in human beings.  I think much of the testing was done
> > in Japan.
>
> Is this new vaccine inactivated virus of which strain?  There are
> significant differences in the virus that is most effective at invading
> and the one which is around late in infection (+5 years).  Further, I was
> under the impression that there is evidence that macrophages might be the
> initial cell type infected.  If you covered a virus with AB's would you
> not scream "come and get me!" to macrophages?  Did you hear any specifics
> about what the neutralizing AB's are to??
>
> Thanks for any info!
>
> Don Haut
> Molecular Microbiology and Immunology
> University of Missouri-Columbia
> C601591 at mizzou1.missouri.edu

"The investigational hepatitis A vaccine (VAQTA trademark Merck research
laboratories) that has been developed is prepared from an attenuated
(weakened) strain of hepatitis A virus that was formalin inacctivated
(killed). To date worldwide, approximately 3,374 healthy adults and 2,420
healthy children and adolescents have received one or more injections of
the vaccine. In the clinical studies to date, the vaccine was well
tolerated and was immunogenic..."

"There is currently another formalin-inactivated, comercially available
vaccine against hepatitis A which is manufactured by SmithKline Beecham
and is available in several European countries."

from "Formalin-Inactivated Hepatitis A Vaccine in Healthy Adults" the
information summary provided to participants of the clinical trial.