Hepatitis A Vaccine ?

Walter Hoeksma YD03 at MUSIC.FERRIS.EDU
Wed Apr 12 08:09:23 EST 1995

>I have heard of a new vaccine for hep A ( not gamma globulin ).   Does anyone h
>about this ? If so, I need it desperately ! Please remember that I am a layman,
>might be able to supply needs to be in simple terms. Thank you.

 The world's first vaccine against hepatitis A (Havrix -SmithKline
 Beecham) has been approved by the FDA for use in adults and children
 aged two and older. The vaccine which contains the inactivated hep.
 A virus has been shown to be at least 84% effective in preventing
 disease associated with hepatitis A. An initial injection of the
 vaccine protects against hepatitis A infection for up to one year. A
 booster dose prolongs the effect. For additional information call
 (215) 751-4000 or for a layman's introduction see the april 1995
 issue of AMERICAN PHARMACY vol. NS35, No.4, pages 5-6.

 I hope this helps. Walt Hoeksema