Clearance of HIV

FRANCIS MILLER MILLERFK95%CS25 at cadetmail.usafa.af.mil
Thu Apr 6 02:01:30 EST 1995

For anyone interested in reading about the recent news about the boy who
apparently cleared an HIV infection, here's the info:

        Bryson, Y. J., et al.
	Clearance of HIV infection in a perinatally infected infant
	The New England Journal of Medicine.
	30 March 1995.  vol. 332, no. 13, pp 833-838.

I am pretty convinced that this happened.  I have heard the argument that
maternal antibodies remain in an infant for up to 14 months, however, the
child was PCR positive for HIV-1 at 33 days and consistently negative after
14 months.  Regardless of antibodies, the child had HIV-1 viral DNA
sequences in his body, and 14 months later did not.

-Francis Miller