[Q] Viral symptoms going on 2 years

Patrick O'Neil patrick at corona
Wed Apr 5 20:07:49 EST 1995

On 5 Apr 1995, Robert C. Colgrove wrote:

> PS: so as not to be a total drudge, maybe we can start a thread on the general
> topic of chronic infection. It strikes me that there are really NOT that many
> clinically important chronic viral illnesses. HIV, HTLV, EBV, CMV, HSV, VZV,
> HBV, HCV, just off the top of my head. Out of the thousands of viruses that
> is a pretty short list. Oh ,and I guess papilloma, JC virus, kuru maybe.
> Others? Note HCV is the oddball here with no DNA form.

HCV?  Is that hepatitis C or what?  As for kuru (?!?!), do you consider
that really anything but _incredibly_ rare?  I would call kuru the odd man
in the bunch since it is a prion - no nucleic acid at all, whether RNA or
DNA.  Just a self-replicating isoform of an otherwise normal cellular
protein...unless there has been VERY recent info identifying it as
non-prionic?

Patrick