Insect PCR

Patrick O'Neil patrick at corona
Wed Apr 5 19:54:36 EST 1995

On 5 Apr 1995, Rod Bonfiglioli wrote:

> Does anyone have any usefull experience in dioing PCR on small insects?  i need
> to do standard pcr, not RT and the insects are very small.  Any helpfull tips
> appreciated.

It really shouldn't be any big deal.  I have worked with Drosophila DNA,
though not for PCR, and found that DNA extraction is not too tough.
There are special, minor, procedures to follow since insects aren't yeast
or bacteria or plants but with each of these the specific protocols are
a bit different.  When I extracted genomic DNA from flies, it was with a
Quiagen DNA extraction kit (there are other kits and non-kit
procedures).  A little mashing up of bug and a few spin column steps and
viola!  Clean DNA usable for practically any procedure.
  The PCR itself is just as simple (I have yet to do an RT-PCR - I have
always done simple PCR).

Patrick

If you want details, I suppose I could dig up my bug mashing protocol and
it should work for you too.  In reality, this shouldn't be necessary.