[Q] Viral symptoms going on 2 years

Robert C. Colgrove robin at alumni.caltech.edu
Wed Apr 5 16:32:39 EST 1995

york at mbcrr.dfci.harvard.edu (Ian A. York) writes:

>In article <3lmk19$3mh at dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu> st91n2ke at dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu (Matthew Jamerson) writes:
>>Despite the fact that Med School does not start for me until August, I
>>think I may have a good guess as to a possible etiologic agent for your
>>mystery illness (though HIV was a good guess at first).

>Please, everybody, do not ask for medical advice on this group.  There is
>no way that the guess of people who have never seen you and who are, by
>and large, researchers rather than clinicians is going to be even close
>to accurate.  Go and *see* a doctor.
>
>Secondly, if you are not 100% sure in your diagnosis, don't make
>one.

>Thirdly, anyone who thinks that EBV is latent in dorsal root ganglia is
>probably not making an accurate diagnosis.

>Ian
>--
>Ian York   (york at mbcrr.harvard.edu)
>Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, 44 Binney St., Boston MA 02115
>Phone (617)-632-3921     Fax  (617)-632-2627

	What he said!
	I know it is tempting for folks to ask for net diagnoses
and for other folks who know a little to try to provide them but
this is very bad medicine and likely to get people hurt. Remember,
the net holds an incredible abundance of information but the
quality control is lousy and the cranks and crackpots are often
quicker to speak than the sages. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

	Robin Colgrove MD/PhD
	Division of Infectious Diseases
	Harvard School of Medicine

	/* mutant ninja virologist for hire --- have clones, will travel */

PS: so as not to be a total drudge, maybe we can start a thread on the general
topic of chronic infection. It strikes me that there are really NOT that many
clinically important chronic viral illnesses. HIV, HTLV, EBV, CMV, HSV, VZV,
HBV, HCV, just off the top of my head. Out of the thousands of viruses that
is a pretty short list. Oh ,and I guess papilloma, JC virus, kuru maybe.
Others? Note HCV is the oddball here with no DNA form.