hanta virus

Dave Wilton dwilton at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 4 10:26:50 EST 1995

In <until.58.0016547B at teleport.com> until at teleport.com (T. K. Harper)
writes:

>It was my understanding that the hanta virus of which you speak
>affected victims as far east as Arkansas and was not limited to the
>Indian reservations.  Also, it was detected in deer mice much further
>north than just Arizona.

Quite correct. Hantavirus is endemic to a good part, if not all, of the
United States. According to *The Coming Plague,* the CDC as of 1994
confirmed 55 cases of hantavirus acute respiratory distress syndrome
(ARDS) in 16 of the United States (1994 MMWR #43). Immediately after
that report was published a student died of ARDS in Rhode Island,
obtaining the virus in a rat-infested warehouse in Queens, NY City.

There is no greater danger on the Navaho reservation than in any other
place in the US. If you come in contact with any rodents, not just deer
mice, there is a possibility that you may get the disease.

--Dave Wilton
  dwilton at ix.netcom.com