Adenoid Virus?

Patrick O'Neil patrick at corona
Mon Apr 3 21:38:44 EST 1995

On 4 Apr 1995, John C. Bielick wrote:

> Has anybody heard of a virus called the "Adenoid Virus"?
> It seems that my nephew came down with a condition where
> his entire skin became red and irritated.  Even his eyes
> seemed to swell up.  The whole situation was quite rough
> on the little guy (he's only 1-year old).  The doctor
> said he was suffering from Adenoid virus.  The condition
> cleared up after taking some antibiotic medicine.

I'm checking but i have a more pressing question...the doctor said it was
a virus and then prescribed _antibiotics_?!?!?  Are you certain a virus
was mentioned OR there was not also a bacterial infection mentioned OR
that the drug really is an antibiotic?  The agent and the drug in no way
go together unless there _was_ some secondary bacterial infection.  If there
were no bacteria involved then is it any wonder that there are so many
bacteria developing resistance to all our antibiotics when a doctor so
freely and uselessly prescribes such to "treat" a viral infection?

Patrick