[Q] Viral symptoms going on 2 years

Matthew Jamerson st91n2ke at dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu
Sun Apr 2 11:40:09 EST 1995

Despite the fact that Med School does not start for me until August, I
think I may have a good guess as to a possible etiologic agent for your
mystery illness (though HIV was a good guess at first).  The Epstein-Barr
virus, a member of the Herpesviridae family, is a chronic, direct-contact
infective agent that is often associated with infectious mononucleosis and
has been noted to generate a whole host of seemingly unrelated problems
and pathologies.  Most everyone in the U.S. acquires this virus during
there young adult or teenage years and I believe that the virus can remain
'hidden' or 'dormant' in dorsal root ganglia.  What have the doctors that
you have gone to see about this condition told you?