Polio vaccination

Mark Williams mwcytel at nic.cerf.net
Fri Oct 28 10:50:05 EST 1994

In Article <mikep.295.000B0589 at uniwa.uwa.edu.au>, mikep at uniwa.uwa.edu.au
(Michael Poidinger) wrote:

(snip out poliovirus eradication congratulations)

>>Subject: Re: Polio vaccination
>
>Yes, well this is a bit of a misguiding comment.  Wildtype polio has been
>eliminated.  Attenuated vaccine strains still run strong in the Western World,
>and they can occasionally cause problems.  There was a man that contracted
>polio from changing the nappies on his baby last year, after said baby was
>vaccinated but the vaccine reverted.  Polio virus, in one form or another,
>will be around for a while to come.

I vaguely remember a paper in Nature (?) several years ago in which the
author monitored the infectivity of the virus his baby shed after (Sabin)
immunization.  As I remember, he found the reversion rate was just slightly
slower than the rate of neutralizing antibody production.  Does anyone have
the reference?
Mark A. Williams
Cytel Corporation
mwcytel at nic.cerf.net