Directory of Virologist?

Stephan Spencer sspencer at rhino.bocklabs.wisc.edu
Sun Oct 23 06:04:52 EST 1994

In article <38ei6g$13fc at lamar.ColoState.EDU>, rlwjohns at lamar.ColoState.EDU
(Robert Johnson) wrote:

> Hello, I was wondering if there is a directory of Virologists out ther.
> (Gahh! no backspace).  This idea came to my attention while I was looking
> up bionet.parasitology for a friend of mine, since they have a directory
> of parasitologists.  Also, I was wondering what schools are good for
> a PHD. in Virology.  I am interested in rarely researched viruses, such
> as Coronaviruses, Baculoviruses, Picornaviruses (particularly Rhinoviruses)
> and I was wondering if you, as a newsgroup, could help me locate good
> graduate schools within the United States who conduct research in these
> areas.

Yes, as a matter of fact there are several lists of virologists. One is a
list of Virologists on the Internet (the virologist adds him/herself to the
list) and the other is a list of Europic 94 Participants
(picornavirologists). To access these lists, you need Mosaic or other WWW
browser. The URL is http://www.bocklabs.wisc.edu/phonebooks.html

I strongly recommend the University of Wisconsin's virology program (I'm
not at all biased ! :) Paul Friesen is a respected baculovirologist. Ann
Palmenberg  and Roland Rueckert are both respected picornavirologists.
Roland Rueckert works on rhinoviruses but he is retiring soon.  Good luck!

Stephan Spencer
Institute for Molecular Virology
University of Wisconsin-Madison
sspencer at rhino.bocklabs.wisc.edu