Why negative strand RNA viruses?(was:none)

robert at chironex.jcu.edu.au robert at chironex.jcu.edu.au
Fri Oct 7 00:15:48 EST 1994

In article <94278.102932IO00865 at MAINE.MAINE.EDU> Ethan Strauss <IO00865 at MAINE.MAINE.EDU> writes:

>I have actually done this experiment for Potato Virus X.
>To the limit of our ability to detect it (pretty small amounts)
>there is not - sense PVX packaged in with the + sense in the virions.
>I don't know about other + sense viruses.
I am interested in your RT-PCR protocol, since unless you take certain precautions
the RT-PCR can be pretty insensitive. I think the RT-PCR developed in my ('old')
lab by Loryn Sellner got down to a handful (5-10) RNA molecules is yours that sensitive ?

Cheers,

Robert

Dr Robert J. Coelen                                  fax:   61-77-791 526
Dept of Biomedical and Tropical Veterinary Sciences  phone: 61-77-815 024
James Cook University of North Queensland
Townsville-just-about-on-THE-reef, Q, 4811
                                      o     e
                                       w   d
                                        n n