Odd DNA sequence

Martin Kennedy mkennedy at chmeds.ac.nz
Wed Jul 20 20:21:21 EST 1994

Hi all,

I need some advice about a peculiar DNA sequence that we have tripped over,
while sequencing a  mouse genomic clone.  The structure we have found is a
tandem,  directly repeated DNA sequence, of at least 30bp, that is separated
by  a poly (AG) microsatellite sequence.

It looks something like this:

When lined up, the direct repeats match at about 27/30 nucleosides.

Does this structure look like anything to anyone? Could it be a retroviral/DNA
virus insertion site?  BLAST searches don't come up with much.  I'd be
grateful for any comments/advice about what this could be, other than some
spurious evolutionary hiccup created to confuse molecular biologists!

--
Cheers,

Martin

	      Phone (64-3)364-0880  Fax (64-3)364-0750