Response: virus disassembly (Attn: Ted van der Lende)

jason.browning at f10000.n106.z1.fidonet.org jason.browning at f10000.n106.z1.fidonet.org
Tue Apr 19 08:24:25 EST 1994

TP-Posting-Host: net.bio.net

>Dear virologists
>I'm a Dutch PhD student working on a virus disease of the common
>mushroom (Agaricus bisporus). At the moment we're trying to develop a
>RNA polymerase assay for the isolated virus particle. For this purpose
>we want to disrupt the isometric virus particle without denaturing the
>viral proteins. In other words we want to avoid the use of detergents,
>high salts etc. Does anyone have any experience on this subject?

>Ted van der Lende
>Department of Plant Biology
>University of Groningen
>Kerklaan 30 9751 NN
>Haren
>The Netherlands
>email: LENDETR at biol.rug.nl

Re:  your request for means to disassemble a virus of mushrooms that
will separate but not degrade the capsomeres.

It is possible with some plant viruses to nudge the capsomeres apart
without destroying them, using a combination of pH stress and solvent
polarity stress.   J. S. Semancik and J. B. Bancroft published such a
method in 1965 (Stability differences between the nucleoprotein
components of bean pod mottle virus, Virology, Volume 27, pages
476-483).  They exposed the virions to chloroform at pH between 9 and
10.  I used their approach in my MS thesis research (1971) at the
University of Arkansas in Fayetteville (Effects of organic solvents and
alkalinity on components of two isolates of bean pod mottle virus).
Please write to me if you would like to have a copy.

Robert E. Browning
4018 Bay Shore Drive
Missouri City, Texas  77459-1811
telephone 713/499-6685