plant viral receptors

Ed Rybicki ED at micro.uct.ac.za
Fri Jul 9 04:12:43 EST 1993

> Date:          Thu, 08 Jul 1993 21:14 -0500 (CDT)
> From:          MFREIS at NOMVS.LSUMC.EDU
> Subject:       plant viral receptors
> To:            virology at net.bio.net

> This is in response to a June 25 message from Ed Rybicki.
> You asked whether non-insect borne plant viruses have receptors.
> Are Viroids insect born?

No.....I think!

> One has to define receptor, because in a sense,
> any host molecule that gets usurped by a viral molecule is acting as a receptor

Yeeeessss....BUT that is cleverly getting around the point that plant
viruses without membranes (as those with are probably all insect viruses
which multiply in the vector) do not appear to have receptors at the cell
surface; they all appear to get into cells as a result of damage to the
wall and membrane (re: Verduin's work on CCMV), after which event they
uncoat, probably using ribosomes (TMV and various sphericals).  SO the
little buggers have evolved towards a lifestyle that makes use of
transient breaches of cell integrity as a means of entry.  Not very
elegant, is it?

 | Ed Rybicki, PhD             |       "Lord, won't you buy me        |
 | (ed at micro.uct.ac.za)        |                                      |
 | Dept Microbiology           |         A Mer-ce-des Benz..."        |
 | University of Cape Town     |                                      |
 | fax: 27-21-650 4023         |                                      |